The term “24-hour flu” is a bit of a misnomer, as the viruses that cause the condition aren’t related to the flu virus. A doctor won’t be able to identify which specific virus is causing a cold. But your doctor what does CBD oil stand for can check your throat and ears and possibly also take a throat culture to make sure your symptoms due to another condition. A throat culture is a simple procedure that involves brushing the inside of the throat with a long cotton swab. Examining the germs on the swab will help determine whether you have strep throat and need treatment with antibiotics.
- This is a high-CBD hemp oil product made from industrial hemp.
- Like most things in life, the usage and properties of CBD and THC aren’t black and white.
- Psychoactive – Any chemical substance that can enter the brain from the bloodstream and directly affect the central nervous system is considered psychoactive.
- The best way to understand CBD’s effects is to compare it to THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol.
- It’s hard to label THC useless when it has so many documented medical benefits, and you cannot just blindly trust CBD as it is still possible for scientists to find some side effects with its long-term use.
People with colds are most contagious for the first 3 or 4 days after the symptoms begin and can be contagious for up to 3 weeks. Although some colds can linger for as long as 2 weeks, most clear up within a week. Rhinoviruses can stay alive as droplets in the air or on surfaces for as long as 3 hours or even more. No one knows exactly why people become infected with colds at certain times.
Your cold symptoms last for more than a week or appear at the same time every year or whenever you’re exposed to pollen, dust, animals, or some other substance . Like all viruses, those that cause colds have to run their course. Getting plenty of rest and drinking lots of fluids can do as much good as medicine as far as helping someone with a cold feel better.
Inflammation And The Common Cold
Over-the-counter cold medicines can’t prevent a cold, but some people think these ease symptoms. And sometimes OTC cold medicines can cause stomach upset or make someone feel dizzy, tired, or unable to sleep. If your nose feels really stuffy, try saline drops to help clear it. Cold symptoms usually start 2 or 3 days after a person has been exposed to the virus.
But no matter what you hear, sitting or sleeping in a draft, not dressing warmly when it’s chilly, or going outside with wet hair will not cause someone to catch a cold. Most colds are caused by viruses that are in invisible droplets in the air you breathe or on things you touch. If one of these viruses gets through the protective lining of the nose and throat, it triggers an immune system reaction. This can cause a sore throat and headache, and make it hard to breathe.